Wishing a Successful Back to School Kick Off to all our PTA/PTSAs!
Summer will soon end and our Fall season will begin! We are ready for leaves to fall and cooler weather to arrive! Don’t forget that there is still time to plan your fall, winter and spring PTA programs. Virginia PTA just emailed or mailed the Back To School Local Unit information so please check your school mailbox to pick up the printed materials.
We appreciate those who elected to receive information via email. Please download information to share with your board.
Also, the new membership data system is up and running and each PTA/PTSA has been provided information about how to set up their system to process membership payments and maintain communications. Learn more now!
PTA Leadership Training Summit
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
5:30 PM – 9:00 PM at Luther Jackson MS!
Now that the new school has started, join us to learn more about PTA benefits, programs, and resources! Become empowered with knowledge to have a successful year by experienced PTA leaders offering 12 workshops sessions! Exhibitors and dinner provided!
Cost is $10 through September 24, $15 after that date!
Congratulations to our NOVA District PTA local units for receiving recognitions and awards during the 2017 VA PTA Annual Conference!
- Family Engagement Award: Daniels Run ES PTA
- New Charters: Fairfax County Special Education PTA, Fairfax
- Advanced Dues Award: Reston Montessori School, Fairfax
- Membership Standards Award: Laurel Ridge ES PTA, Fairfax
- 100% Membership Awards: Nottingham ES PTA and McKinley ES PTA, Arlington
- Superior Membership Awards: Olde Creek ES PTA, 3rd Place, Division 3; McKinley ES PTA, 2nd Place, Division 5, Claremont Immersion ES PTA, 1st Place, Division 6
- Outstanding Membership Awards: Peyton Randolph ES PTA, 3rd Place, Division 3; Claremont Immersion ES PTA, 1st Place, Division 6
- Popular Tree ES PTA received $1000 from VA529
District Board Vacancy: We are currently looking for PTA members to serve in the following vacancies. If interested, please contact Debbie Kilpatrick at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advocacy – Follows efforts of Virginia General Assembly as it relates to K-12 Education. Organizes our participation in the PTA Day at the General Assembly and during the National PTA Advocacy Day on the Hill.
- Nominating Committee Member – Member of a three person committee responsible for reviewing potential candidate nominations for the 2018-20 slate of officers.
- Audits and Budgets – Should be completed in time for your first general membership meeting to be adopted. Copies of your approved audit should be sent to Virginia PTA.
- Membership – New database information is now available at: http://www.vapta.org/members-only/membership
- Programs – Student programs for your PTA to promote are the Citizenship Essay, Power Plates and Reflections
STEM + Families Event on June 8 was very successful! More information will be shared about our fall STEM career pathways event – please stay tuned!
National PTA is now offering STEM grants so check them out at: www.pta.org/parents/stem
NOVA District PTA is offering Reflections Training!
“Within Reach” PTA Reflections Training & Reflections Chairs Reception
Thursday, September 14, 6:30 pm
Cafeteria (1st Floor), FCPS Gatehouse Center
8115 Gatehouse Road, Falls Church
Please join us to kick off your PTA Reflections Program. If your PTA/PTSA has not offered Reflections previously, this is a great opportunity to learn how to implement the program and network with other PTA leaders who have successful programs!
National PTA Back-To-School Kit
The 2017-2018 Back-To-School Kit has launched and available for download at: www.ptakit.org There are several new changes with the Kit so please explore to learn about your position. The Kit can now be accessed on your smart phone, tablet or laptop-anyplace, anytime. You just need to register and login to access the Kit.
Once you register, you will receive a Recruitment Tool (a packet of PTA marketing materials) and a poster-sized calendar of PTA events for the upcoming school year in the mail.
Virginia PTA and National PTA has issued a statement on the recent racial violence in Charlottesville. Please review at www.vapta.org.
Thank you again for your service to your school community and please let us know if we can be of assistance to you and your PTA/PTSA this coming year. We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming training events!
Your partners in PTA,
Debbie Kilpatrick, Director, email@example.com
Michelle Leete, Assistant Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Denise Bolton, Secretary/Treasurer, email@example.com