The Healthy Lifestyles Initiative provides PTAs with education and tools to partner with schools and advocate for healthy changes in nutrition and physical activity. In a healthy school:
- All foods, beverages and snacks sold or served meet National School Nutrition Standards.
- All students have opportunities to be physically active on a regular basis.
- All students have access to regular physical education.
- District wide wellness policies are developed, implemented and evaluated with input from students, parents, staff and interested community members.
What PTAs Can Do
- Support Healthy School Meals
- Advocate for more physical activity and physical education in schools
- Establish School Wellness Policies
- Model positive health behaviors at your PTA meetings and fundraisers
- Participate in National PTA’s Healthy Lifestyles Month