An organization that recognizes diversity values differences and similarities among people through its actions and accountability. These characteristics include age, ethnicity, gender, language and culture, socioeconomic status, among many different things.
When PTAs respect differences yet acknowledge shared commonalities uniting their communities, and then develop meaningful priorities based upon their knowledge, they genuinely represent their communities. When PTAs represent their communities, they gain strength and effectiveness through increased volunteer and resource support.
Leadership Tips and Tools
Supporting Multicultural Membership Growth
- African American Children and Families
- Hispanic Children and Families
- American Indian/Alaska Native Children and Families
- Asian American Children and Families
- Pacific Islander American Children and Families
- Male Engagement
- Children in Military Families
- Children in Foster Care and Their Families
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) Children and Families
- Children With Special Needs and Their Families
- Location Matters: Urban, Suburban, and Rural Children and Families
Personal Action Plan
I _____________________________________________________, (name)
________________________________________________________, (PTA title or affiliation status with PTA), will support the Diversity, Inclusion and Outreach efforts of my (state, council, region, unit) by utilizing the Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit. My PTA and community will benefit in the following ways: ___________; __________; and _________.