NOVA District PTA members joined PTA/PTSA members all across the Commonwealth to attend/participate in the 99th Annual Meeting of the Virginia PTA as well as the 2020 Advocacy Conference and Capitol Day held on January 25-27. Members conducted important business of the Virginia PTA, including adopting new resolutions and establishing a board-level position of Vice President of Membership. Members learned about legislation being considered by the General Assembly that will impact schools, students, teachers, school support staff, families, and communities. Members also met with their Delegates and Senators during Virginia PTA Capitol Day on January 27 to develop working relationships and to tell their stories about what is going on in their schools and communities and with their students. Further information and pictures are below.
- Members received and heard from Virginia Secretary of Education Atif Qarni who discussed the importance of increasing teacher salaries, providing high-quality early childhood education to all students, providing more support to students from military families, career and technical education and modernizing the state Standards of Quality to ensure adequate students supports are in every school, including school counselors and social workers. Secretary Qarni testified before the House Education Committee during Virginia PTA Capitol Day in support for the Governor’s 2020-22 budget and for legislation to modernize the state Standards of Quality.
- Members received and heard from First Lady Pamela Northam who discussed the importance of providing high-quality early childhood education and to ensure all students are ready for the global economy.
- Members had the choice of 18 different workshops to attend, participate, and learn from subject matter experts.
- Members approved 7 resolutions and 16 bylaw amendments which will be available soon on the Virginia PTA website.
- Members learning about Virginia PTA’s 2019-2020 legislative priorities and discussed effective advocacy strategies.
- Members also toured the Virginia Capitol and Virginia PTA was officially recognized on the floors of the Virginia House and Senate in the Virginia General Assembly for its efforts to ensure all Virginia students are ready for the global economy.
PICTURES – Thanks to Lifetouch and Shutterfly, Virginia PTA uploaded pictures taken throughout the weekend available on a protected “shared” Shutterfly photo site. Please go to virginiapta.shutterfly.com and once recognized/approved, you will have access to over 450 pictures from Lifetouch/Shutterfly and volunteers. Member attendees can also upload their own pictures to the portal for other Virginia PTA members to see. Pictures can also be found on the NOVA District PTA Facebook page.
Virginia PTA Capitol Day Video – Here is a brief video of Virginia PTA members during Capitol Day engaging their Delegates and Senators.
Virginia PTA will be celebrating its 100th Anniversary during its 2021 Annual Meeting scheduled for March 20, 2021! We look forward to celebrating this achievement with you! Stay tuned for further details going forward!
#BeTheVoice #VAPTACapitolDay #VAPTAProud